The Marine Society & Sea Cadets (MSSC) is registered with the Information Commissioner and abides by the eight Data Protection principles set out in the Act.
Please direct enquiries in respect of Data Protection issues to the Director of Business Management, MSSCHQ, 202 Lambeth Road, London. SE1 7JW (email firstname.lastname@example.org).
The MSSC has affiliated Units in the Bailiwicks of Guernsey, Jersey and in the Isle of Man each of which is outside the European Union. Information provided through this website may be provided to Sea Cadet Units in those territories and also stored in data retrieval systems in those territories.
MSSC will only require you to provide personal information appropriate for the completion of specific tasks or to manage the Sea Cadet Corps - for example when you wish to join as a member of staff, volunteer your support to a Sea Cadet Unit, place an order through the MSSC College of the Sea (for our educational services) or apply for seafarers’ educational grants, scholarships or loans. You will be required to provide sufficient personal information for the MSSC to safely manage and safeguard young people within the organisation, process organisational business, manage transactions and contact you in the event of a problem or issue arising. You may provide the MSSC with additional information at your own discretion.
The MSSC will use your information to provide and personalise its services. Your details will be used to communicate with you on MSSC business only.
Personal information is collected directly from you when you complete and return forms as part of communicating with MSSC (e.g. making a donation online).
We collect this information in order to keep in touch with you and supply you with data relating to our work and how you can support us. This includes keeping you informed about issues that might potentially be of interest to you. The information which we collect in this way will typically include your name, postal and email addresses, and your bank details if you are supporting us financially. We will also sometimes obtain contact information indirectly from third parties.
The MSSC may use your information to send you news about activities, events or services and, in the event of the MSSC working in partnership with other organisations, details of those third-party associates, only when you have opted-in to receive such communications.
Please note that there may be instances where it may be necessary for the MSSC to communicate with you, in any event, for administrative or operational reasons relating to the organisation.
The MSSC will only disclose your information in the manner permitted by registration or where required to do so by law. In particular information may be disclosed to other parts of the MSSC, its affiliated Units and to current business associates.
We will not sell your information to third party organisations, and we do not share your personal information with third parties for their benefit. We do sometimes ask third party organisations to contact you on our behalf as part of our fundraising activities, but the information gathered in this way remains our legal responsibility and we ensure that data is treated with the same level of care as if we were handling it directly.
We may use data to profile our users and research the charity’s impact on those who use its services.
MSSC (Marine Society and Sea Cadets) takes the care of your data seriously and undertakes to protect your personal information in a range of ways. These measures include implementing specific technologies and procedures designed to protect your privacy, such as secure servers, firewalls and SSL encryption. We follow payment card industry (PCI) security compliance guidelines when processing credit card payments.
Any personal information transferred between locations will be both encrypted and password protected.
We will retain your information for as long as you have an active relationship with MSSC (Marine Society and Sea Cadets) . If you cease to have an active relationship with us or request to receive no further contact, we may retain some basic information in order to avoid sending you unwanted materials in the future, and to ensure that we don’t accidentally duplicate information.
In order to allow us to process an online donation you will need to provide your address and payment details. If you are completing a Gift Aid declaration we are required by law to obtain details of your home address in order to set up the mandate successfully.
1. To maintain information about your session on the MSSC server. For example, keeping track of items in your shopping basket or remembering who you are if you leave and then return to the MSSC web site during the same browser session. This cookie is removed automatically when either you close your web browser, or 15 minutes after you last accessed a page on this site.
2. To allow the site to recognise you when you return to MSSC pages or if you login whilst you are on the site, to remember you until you close your web browser. The cookie only remains on your computer if you elect to store it in the user information page. The cookie the MSSC puts on your computer only contains a reference so that the MSSC can access your personal information. No personal information is contained within the cookie.
3. To provide tracking of your activity on the website - see website tracking below. This cookie is not linked to any personal information about you and is used to provide generic statistical information about patterns of activity on the MSSC website.
Whenever you visit the MSSC website the web server automatically records your IP address and each page you visit. It also records information including your route to this site and your operating system and web browser type.
This information is not linked to any personal information the MSSC holds about you.
The MSSC aims to protect the security of your personal data at all times. The MSSC will accomplish this by using a combination of methods including, but not limited to:
• Ensuring your personal information will only be displayed on the screen if you are within a session for which you have provided your password.
• Ensuring that whenever your personal information is exchanged between your web browser and the MSSC web server, highly effective methods of encryption are used - this is currently 128 bit SSL (secure sockets layer) encryption. This makes it extremely difficult for someone to intercept and read the information being passed between your web browser and the MSSC web server.
You have the right to access the personal information that the MSSC holds about you. Requests should be made in writing to: The Director of Business Management, The Marine Society & Sea Cadets, 202 Lambeth Road, London, SE1 7JW.
You may opt out of receiving specific information and types of messages from us by notifying us through the contact points listed below, or by following the opt-out instructions on any email you might receive from us.
You may contact us to correct inaccuracies you find in the data which we hold about you, or if you wish to receive no further information from us, at any point in time. This can be done via:
Post: Fundraising, MSSC, 202 Lambeth Road, London SW1 7JW
Phone: 0208 654 7000
It will help us to update your information quickly if you include your full name and address and/or supporter number (if known), together with details of the correction to be made.
Enter your details to subscribe to our newsletter