Sea Cadets helps teenagers to stretch themselves and become the best they can be. We know what that takes because we've been doing it for over 160 years.
The turbulence of youth
The pressures that young people face are ever-changing, but what remains constant is that the teenage years can be turbulent. Independence is exciting, but also daunting.
For orphans of the Crimean War, sleeping in the back streets of England’s sea ports, life looked bleak. To help them, coastal communities banded together to provide places for sailors to pass on nautical skills and training to give these destitute young people a future. This is how, in 1856, the Naval Lads’ Brigade was born.
Soon, they were springing up across the country, and in 1899, Queen Victoria marked their importance to young people by becoming Patron, and giving £10 to the Windsor unit for uniforms.
Today, HM The Queen is our Patron and HRH The Prince Andrew Duke of York KG GCVO is our Admiral of the Corps.
Scroll through our gallery to learn more about our rich history....
The History of T.S Galatea
T.S. Galatea came into being in January 2001 after the last of the original Glasgow Units (of which there were 5) closed.
The Unit was started as a satellite unit and began with just two cadets and two members of staff plus a management committee.
The name 'T.S. Galatea' was picked for its connection with the S.V. Glenlee (the Tall ship based at the Riverside Museum and operated by the Clyde maritime Trust) upon which we are based. During its history, the Glenlee had belonged to the Spanish Navy, where it was used as an officer training ship and was called Galatea. The name also has connections with the Royal Navy. Several HM warships have been called "Galatea" the last being a Leander class frigate (F18) which entered service in 1964, was decommissioned in 1987 and sunk as a target in the North Sea on 21 July 1988.
After going through it's trial period the Unit was fully commissioned into the Sea Cadet Corps as Unit No 629 on the 1st November 2002. At that time the unit had eight cadets and four members of staff.