Worthing unit was formed in 1937 by Lt Cdr Gilbert-Wood RNR and at that time paraded in Rivoli Buildings, North Street, Worthing.
At the end of the war in 1946 the unit moved to its present position in Broadwater Road. At that time a large Georgian House stood on the site. The building having been used by Canadian troops at the build up to ‘D’ Day was in a very sorry state, there being few floor boards left, most having been burnt. After some hard work the building became the Headquarters of the Worthing Sea Cadets. Following demobilization many previous Officers and Instructors returned and resumed their cadet work and TS Vanguard flourished
Worthing unit quickly grew to a ships company of 250 cadets and the unit became a leader in the country, winning the Canada Trophy in 1953 and 1954.
The Girls Nautical Training Corps was formed in the town in the late 1940’s. In 1963 the Girls joined the Sea Cadets at T. S. Vanguard, but still retained for a further 17 years their separate identity. In 1989 they were Mountbatten Trophy contenders and have always played a large part in the unit successes.
In the early 1970’s a new headquarters was planned, this was to be built behind the existing building. This project was completed in 1972 and the new headquarters opened by Lady Pamela Hicks on the 2nd December 1972.
In 1979 the Marine Cadet Detachment were transferred to Worthing from Brighton and has since then played a major part in the unit.
By the early 1980’s it became clear that the unit needed more space. Following heavy fund raising, a substantial amount of money given to us by the local Lions and a County Council grant, a Boat Shed was built followed by a two story 53 foot by 25 foot extension to the north of the existing building. This was constructed solely by Officers, Instructors, Cadets and Parents. The final stage of the extensions to the west and south started in 1992 and was completed in 1995 again as a self build project. During these long building programs the unit continued as a fully functional unit, winning Burgees continually from 1978 until the present day and on four occasions, in 1982, 1984, 1987 and 1996, the unit won the Stephenson Trophy.
The unit today plays a large part in helping the community, Gifford House (The Queen Alexander Home) for disabled servicemen, local Rotary and Lions associations, Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal, Lomas House Retirement Home for the Clergy In. 1996 we were awarded certificates of appreciation from the Rotary and The Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal in grateful recognition of distinguished voluntary effort.
New front doors purchased which gives disabled access, We also had a new Standard puchased and Blessed at Broadwater Parish Church St Marys
Over its eighty years of existence Worthing Unit has shown that it has always followed its Ships motto ‘WE LEAD’ and will continue to do so
New heat and smoke detectors installed allowing over night stays to be allocated as well as the Intruder Alarm being updated for more safety. We also purchased a new Trinitty 500 the rowing boat specific for the SCC which is due to replace the old ASC.
Fundraising for the toilets to be replaced and New double glazed windows were fitted to the upper deck of the unit
The toilet block ( heads ) were completely rebuilt - taking out the old and bringing in the new also fitting three shower units into the existing space, With very grateful thanks to Reilly's the builders who co ordinated the build and brought it in on budget.