How to find us
The Unit is located at the junction of Hooley Lane and Brighton Road, Redhill, Surrey.
Access is gained via Brook Road. Turn into Brook Road at the BP Garage on the A23 Brighton Road and follow the road as it bears right.
The Unit was formed during 1938 at the Drill Hall in Reigate, where in response to an advert placed in the local paper some thirty boys gathered to form the Ships Company.
At this time the Unit was under the parentage of the Navy League and was known as Beatty unit, the name "Beatty" was worn on the Cap Tallies.
Earl Beatty of the Battle of Jutland fame lived in Reigate Priory.
The Ships Company steadily increased in numbers and were taught by dedicated ex seamen and mariners.
Eventually, uniforms were issued and the solid foundations of the unit as we know it today were formed. During the war years, the Unit numbers increased considerably and the Unit adopted the name T.S. Ark Royal.
The connection with Ark Royal and Reigate Town goes back to the Armada when Lord Howard of Effingham lived in Reigate Priory and acquired the ship "Ark Raleigh" from Sir Walter Raleigh and changed the name to "Ark Royal"