The first Sea Cadet unit was established in 1854 at Whitstable in Kent, created by communities wanting to give young people instruction on a naval theme. Traditionally old seafarers provided training while local businessmen funded the Unit Headquarters.

The tradition of community - based Sea Cadet Units continues today with 400 across the UK each with charitable status enabling them to raise funds to meet their running costs. All Units are members of the Sea Cadet Corps and are governed by the national charity MSSC - the Marine Society & Sea Cadets.

We work partnership with the Royal Navy under a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and receive corporate support from commercial shipping companies and the Maritime sector. Our core purpose is to celebrate Britain's maritime heritage and contribute to its future development by supporting young people as Sea Cadets.

TS Jervis Bay Unit HQ

It is believed that Reading sea cadets has been in existence since 1909, when the King Alfred Training Brig was on the River Thames in Caversham.  The unit officially became part of the sea cadet corps on the 26th April 1939.

The unit paraded in several different locations over the years, including Huntley & Palmers biscuit factory and Oxford Road School. It moved to its present location in Brock Barracks just after the Second World War, where it was housed in two nissen huts. TS Jervis Bay has remained in this location with only a small gap when we had to temporarily move during the Korean War.

In 1976, the unit moved into a purpose built Headquarters within Brock Barracks. However in 1982, this building was devastated by fire...some would say this was a blessing in disguise, as it led to a huge fund raising effort which led to the brick build HQ in which the Unit now Parades.

Unit Crest

After many years of searching, Reading Sea Cadets finally has their own Ships Crest.

TS Jervis Bay is unique in being the only Sea Cadet Unit in the country to be named after the Armed Merchant Ship HMS Jervis Bay. As she sank in 1940, we had not until recently seen her crest.

A new member of the Unit Management Team and former cadet Mr Pollard, did some research and found a picture of her crest. With that information we were able to have a crest made. it will soon take pride of place on the units Quarter deck

.

HMS Jervis Bay - the units namesake

HMS Jervis Bay was a british liner later converted into an Armed Merchant Crusier, pennant number F40. She was launched in 1922 and sunk on 5 November 1940 by the German Heavy Cruiser Admiral Scheer.

The ship was originally the Aberdeen & Comonwealth Line steamer Jervis Bay, named after the bay in New South Wales, Australia, following the A&C Line's tradition of naming all their ships after bays.

She has been taken over by the Royal Navy in August 1939 on the outbreak of the Second World War and hastily armed with a few World War One vintage 6-inch guns. She was initially assigned to the South Atlantic station before becoming a convoy escort in May 1940.

On 5th November 1940, she was the sole escort for 37 merchant ships in Convoy HX-84 from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Britain, when the convoy encountered the Admiral Scheer.

The Captain of the Jervis Bay, Edward Fegen, ordered the convoy to scatter and closed with the German warship. The 11-inch guns of the German ship easily outranged Jervis Bay and she sunk with loss of 190 crew. However, while the Admiral Scheer went on to sink five merchant ships out of the convoy, Jervis Bay's sacrific bought enough time for the convoy to scatter, and the remaining ships escaped. Sixty-five survivors from Jervis Bay (Captain Fegen not amongst them) were picked up by the neutral Swedish ship Stureholm.

Captain Fegen was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross as a Result of this action. The citation for the Victoria Cross reads "Valour in Challenging hopeless odds and giving his life to save the many ships it was his duty to protect."

HMAS Jervis Bay


HMAS Jervis Bay (GT-203) was a roll-on, roll-off passenger-cargo ship built by the State Dockyard at Newcastle, New South Wales as the MV Australian Trader. She was launched on 17th February 1969 and operated as a ferry in Bass Strait by the Australian National Line.

The ship was purchased by the Royal Australian Navy on 28th January 1977 for $5.07 million. Jervis Bay was converted as the fleet training ship, replacing HMAS Duchess and commissioned on 25th August 1977. Jervis Bay provided basic navigation and seamnaship training, and also provided logistic transport to the Army as required.

HMAS Jervis Bay paid off on 18th April 1994 and was sold on 7th December 1994 to Med Link Lines, a Greek company, which operated the ship as a passenger ferry in the Mediterranean and renamed M/S Agios Andreas. She was sold in 2003 to Ajman lines renamed M/S Ajman Leader and operated in the  Persian Gulf out of Dubai. She was sold in 2004 for scrap.

Jervis Bay - First Military Catamaran


HMAS Jervis Bay (AKR 45) was a wave piercing catamaran built by Incat in Tasmania. During her career, the ship, built as Incat 045 has served numerous companies as a civilian ferry, but her most prominent role was during her leasing to the Australian Government from 1999 to 2001, where she was commissioned into the Royal Australian Navy as a fast troop transporter. Although a purely civilian design Jervis Bay had the distinction of being the first large catamaran in the world to enter naval service.


 

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact
Patron: HM The Queen
A charity registered in England and Wales 313013 and in Scotland SC037808